Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's official....I am an old man

To answer my dad (I assume that is who tklonick is), the terrain has been mostly roads, some trails, bridleways, bogs, rivers, and manure soaked fields that have literally made the rubber peel off my hiking boots. The lack of adequate footwear is no longer a problem though because...


I AM DONE!!!


Aside from 2 days in which I sherpaed (sherpa'd?) both of our gear from Barnoldswick to Ingleton to Kendall and a few bus backs, I walked from Cheltenham to Glasgow (350ish miles) in 20 days. From this experience I have come to a few conclusions.


1. British food is not the best. - It could even be the worst. But that would be saying a lot because there are a lot of other countries out there. They do have one thing going for them, breakfast. The idea of the full english breakfast is great: Bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms, plum tomato, baked beans, toast, cereal, orange juice, and tea or coffee. I was never a big breakfast guy but it has been nice getting a belly full of food for a long day hiking. 


Unfortunately some people's idea of a full english breakfast also includes black pudding and haggis. Black pudding is absolutely horrid and haggis is just....well haggis. There is nothing like it. There is no reason to ever have anything like it. But that is the only gastronomical claim to fame the Scottish have because they can not cook. I could go on, but won't for fear of turning you off the UK. Which I don't want to do because it is great. Just bring lots of granola bars....lots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis


2. The British are incredibly helpful, just don't ask them for directions - I could go on for pages describing the incidents where complete strangers have been shockingly friendly. I could also go on describing the incidents where complete strangers have no idea where they are, where they are coming from, where they are going, or what country they are in. I'll give you a bit of both.


I had just gotten on a bus to try and find the B&B we had booked because it was getting late and we were not going to make it in time. I soon realized I was screwed. No one on the bus had ever heard of the place, the embedded map on my laptop had disappeared, and it was starting to rain. Luckily I met a girl named Ali and her mom was on the way to drive me around to find the place. As we were waiting for her mom in the drizzle, a man walks up to me and asks if I am walking from Land's End. Needless to say, I was a bit thrown off. "Well I'm not, but my friend is...why do you ask?"


"Hi I am Phil and I own the B&B where you are staying tonight, I am your savior, I will drive you around the countryside so that you can walk without your packs for a day, my wife will give you homeopathic remedies to fix your broken legs, I will drop you by supermarkets to get food, I will print off and laminate maps for you to use so you don't get lost, and so on"


Obviously, I am paraphrasing. He did not say that. However he did do all that. Phil and Jennifer run a fantastic B&B in Hilderstone and I can not speak highly enough about it. If you are ever in the area, check it out.


http://www.highfieldsfarm.talktalk.net/index.htm


When going in to Carlisle a week or so later, Alex decided to run on ahead with the maps to make up some ground because I was a bit lame that day. I thought everything would be ok because coming in to Carlisle from the south I would pass through the fairly dense town of Diggby. However, due to lack of signs for the Carlisle town centre I had to ask a store clerk if they knew how to get there. 


"Hmm that's a tough one, I am not really sure. I think it is that way. Try going down that way and asking someone else for directions."


Ok, she wasn't the brightest. Maybe the next person I run in to will be able to help. Soon I came across two men walking a dog.


"Carlisle? Ooh yea, you probably shouldn't be on this road. You can go back to the motorway."


"I am walking there."


"Oh shit, that's at least a mile away. Get a cab."


I also didn't get anywhere with the rambling drunk scotsman. Words to the wise, when buying the granola bars get maps.


3. I am an old man - People have been telling me this for years but I never accepted it. I knew it though when I had to use my makeshift cane to hobble my achy bones up the stairs in a country estate to get a cup of tea and head to bed while the sun was still shining. It also doesn't help that I yell at people driving by and shake my cane because they are going "too dang fast....damn kids!" So to all those that call me an old man, you were/are right and I am accepting donations of prune juice and depends. 




As for now, I am in Glasgow. Tomorrow I am heading to Edinburgh for 3 days, then back to Glasgow to fly back to Boston on the 30th. The walk is over and the trip is nearing its end. The time has flown by and it has been great but I am looking forward to getting back to the Cape and my family and Cassie. Till next time, ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment