Monday, June 29, 2009

It was a dark and stormy night...

Edinburgh is incredibly eerily enchanting. By day, it is a beautiful cobble-stoned monument to everything Scottish. Kilts, whisky, shortbread, haggis, William Wallace figurines, and the like are being sold all along the Royal Mile. But by night, a mist falls over the city and gives everything a magical glow. While getting ready for bed my first night in town, I looked out the window and saw the mist enveloping Herriot's School (J.K. Rowlings inspiration for Hogwarts). I knew the city would look amazing so I put down my toothbrush and picked up my camera for some night time shooting.


Edinburgh is the most haunted city with paranormal occurrences daily. I could see why after hearing some of the stories about its dark past filled with torture, disease, witch trials, and serial killers. As you walk down the Royal Mile at night in Old Town, you get the feeling as if you're transported back to the days of the West Port murders when two Irish immigrants went around killing people and selling their corpses for dissection. If you step down one of the alleyways, just make sure there isn't a shadowy man with a top hat and cloak following you.

Eeriness aside, it is very romantic and St. Giles Cathedral was a perfect subject for my new photography obsession. Unfortunately I sent away my tripod so I had to make due with street lamps and my rock solid body (feel free to laugh, I am) for stability.


The next day I went on the New Edinburgh tour, sampled some scotch (if you ever get the chance to have the Dalmore Gran Reserva or Ardbeg Uigeadail, I highly suggest you try them), and had a deep fried mars bar (awesome!). 

I am getting a train back to Glasgow in an hour or two and plan on bumming around until tomorrow morning when I fly back to Boston and this chapter of my life is over. Until the next chapter, goodbye and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - I'm sitting in Fort William, bumming around until I can eat lunch before I head out. Just got a chance to catch up on your blog. Great stuff! Just wanted to say thanks for hiking with me, hope you didn't do any permanent damage to your joints (and arteries). I've got 177 miles yet to go and I'm bracing for the final push but I don't think I would've made it this far without your sherpa services, so thanks again! See you in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete